“I can’t stress enough how innovative and visionary this programme is.”
Volodymyr Koman (MIT)
Master Photonics Alumnus
Study Photonics in Belgium!
The Master of Science in Photonics Engineering (MSPE)* is embedded in a world-class research environment that helps you to build your career path in key domains of the future. Our English taught inter-university programme to two years (120 ECTS) leads to a joint degree from Ghent University and Vrije Universiteit Brussel. Enjoy a vibrant cultural and social life at the heart of Europe, surrounded by international decision-making organisations. Or discover our online track!
PHOTCAST is a new podcast initiative from students, with students, and for students. Discover our Master Programme in Photonics in a fun way! We discuss every aspect of photonics & engineering, studying photonics in Belgium, student life and future job perspectives.
Episode 1: Talking Scholarships!
Studying in Belgium in times of COVID-19
Worried about the implications of the Coronavirus outbreak on your future studies? Our primary goal is to provide a flexible and accessible programme for every student. At this stage, we cannot foresee when travel and mobility restrictions will be lifted. However, rest assured that we are continuously working to find and to implement solutions for international students who may not be able to attend classes on campus as of the first week of the academic year in September 2020. We understand that this may be due to travel restrictions, embassy closures or visa delays, or sanitary and safety reasons. Students will be able to follow all photonics courses online. Please contact us for more information.
Meet THE programme directorS, OFFICERS and MORE!
Join our group!
Come and join an international group of more than 60 students studying in Ghent and Brussels. Broaden your horizon and discover new cultures while obtaining a master’s degree in photonics!
* DISCLAIMER: The current proposed programme and content are still subject to changes. The definitive structure of the Master of Science in Photonics Engineering will be announced in early 2021. Vrije Universiteit Brussel and Ghent University are not responsible before definitive approval by the relevant committees. Applications will be accepted from November 2020 and will remain valid. The applicants will keep the right to withdraw their application. Contact us for more information about the full programme and the online track.
Most frequent questions and answers
All students who apply for this program are therefore eligible to be awarded a VUB Scholarship (no separate application procedure is required). These Scholarships will be awarded on a competitive basis among all accepted EMSP students.
To obtain a grant or scholarship from one of the external funding agencies, students must follow a separate procedure (next to the MSPE application procedure). The procedure to obtain these grants is completely independent from the MSPE Admission Process and the MSPE Board has no involvement in the selection or decision process of these external funding agencies.
Yes, we have accepted students with a degree in Computer Science, Biomedical Engineering, IC Design in the past. If there are sufficient courses in Applied Mathematics, Electromagnetics, Semiconductor Physics, Electronics, Optics & Optoelectronics or Telecommunications, you fit our profile.
We accept the following as proof:
– a TOEFL-TEST, showing a score of at least 570 (paper-based) or 87 (internet-based)
– an original “test report from” (TRF) from IELTS, with a minimum overall band score of 6.0
– Cambridge-ESOL: First certificate in English (FCE).
Some applicants are exempted from submitting one of the above in the following cases:
– If you have a diploma of higher education awarded by an (recognised) institution of higher education in the Flemish Community.
– If you have successfully completed a minimum of 1 year (60 credits), be it secondary or higher education, where the medium of instruction was English (an official certificate must be submitted).
Late application deadlines will be announced on our website, so please check regularly for updates.