The Master of Science In Photonics Engineering programme is a 2-year interuniversity English taught master programme organized jointly by Vrije Universiteit Brussel and Ghent University.*
The programme offers a fully residential on-campus track and a semi-online track.
In the residential on-campus track students spend both master year 1 and master year 2 on-campus. In master year 1 students take core photonics courses in semester 1 & 2 at VUB or UGent, supplemented by a number of advanced photonics electives.
In master year 2 students can design their own programme combining:
- Advanced photonics courses at VUB, UGent or partner universities
- Multidisciplinary modules at VUB, UGent or partner universities
- Strong international components for the master dissertation or research exchange,
- Opportunities for (international) internships at research institutes or industry.
For their second year students can continue their studies at VUB or UGent or they can go for an Erasmus Exchange at one of our partner institutions for a semester or a full your year to take courses and/or write their master thesis.
VUB and UGent work closely with top partner universities worldwide. Students can design their personal exchange programme aligned with their focus and interests.
In the online track students follow master year 1 fully online. For master year 2 they come to VUB or UGent. For more info on the online track, go to Online track.
A BALANCED PROGRAMME
* DISCLAIMER: The current proposed programme and content are still subject to changes. The definitive structure of the Master of Science in Photonics Engineering will be announced in early 2021. Vrije Universiteit Brussel and Ghent University are not responsible before definitive approval by the relevant committees. Applications will be accepted from November 2020 and will remain valid. The applicants will keep the right to withdraw their application. Contact us for more information about the full programme and the online track.